With 2,798km of coastline and excellent wildlife-watching opportunities, South Africa is a firm tourist favourite and a gateway for exploring the rest of the continent. Its cities are a melting pot of cultures and the country’s spirited people will be just as memorable as its magnificent beaches and stunning winelands.
What to do:
– Party and eat under the watch of Table Mountain in beautiful Cape Town, an international city where live music fills the streets and farmers markets offer up bountiful local produce.
– Visit Addo Elephant Park for an up-close experience with these gentle giants.
– Eat a hearty South Africa braai (otherwise known as a barbeque). Be warned, this is not a vegetarian affair.
– Attend ‘Afrikaburn’ – one of Burning Man’s little brother events held annually in the spectacular Karoo.
– Explore the remote and wild beaches of the Transkei, surrounded by rolling hills dotted with the round huts of the Xhosa people.
– Trek the spectacular Drakensberg Escarpment, 1000km of cliffs and valleys that offer walking to suit all levels.
– Read: Zakes Mda ‘The Heart of Redness’
– Watch: ‘Amandla’ – a brilliant documentary tracing the role of music and musicians in the anti-apartheid struggle